The molecule that I have chosen for this challenge is H2O. Its composition is 1 hydrogen atom and 2 oxygen atoms. The properties of H2O, also known as water, are:
- Water is polar
- Water is an excellent solvent
- Water has a high heat capacity
- Water has a high heat of vaporization
- Water has cohesive and adhesive properties
- Water is less dense as a solid than as a liquid
There are many more properties, but these are just the ones that stood out to me.
The relevance of H2O in our world is, frankly, quite obvious! We all know that water is crucial, we can’t live without it. We use it for so many things like bathing, brushing our teeth, washing our hands (very important right now!), and cleaning fruits and vegetables.
As you can see, water is a very common molecule that we all interact with every single day.